Every year, bicycle accidents cause many fatalities and personal injuries in San Bernardino.
Bicycle accidents are totally preventable as they are usually caused by negligence of motorists or by bicycles and/or defective products.
If you are a cyclist who has survived an accident, or if you have lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, Maryam Parman can help you.
She has successfully represented many clients who have suffered due to the negligence of other people.
We have helped many cyclists get excellent medical care and the support they have needed to rebuild their lives after the accident.
Common Bike Accident Areas
According to police reports, some of the most common places for bicycle accidents in San Bernardino are the following:
- Colorado and Lincoln Ave
- East Lynwood Ave
- Raptor Ridge Trail
Top Causes of Bike Accidents
Negligent drivers are often the cause of bicycle accidents in San Bernardino.
Although cyclists must follow traffic regulations, motorists frequently do not give space to cyclists on the road.
Drivers will sometimes openly ignore the fact that cyclists are even present.
Drivers often cause accidents that seriously disrupt a cyclist’s life by:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Driving distracted, like sending text messages or e-mails while driving
- Not giving the right of way
And sometime bicyclists don’t follow the rules
- Riding under the influence
- Not following traffic laws
- Riding recklessly
Common Injuries From Bike Accidents
Cyclists suffering damages due to a motor vehicle accident can suffer serious life-threatening injuries that can result in costly medical bills.
The seriousness of most bike accident injuries is simply due to the fact that cyclists are much less protected from any physical damage.
In addition to death, damages related to cycling can lead to serious injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) can last for months, years, or a lifetime and completely change the life of the victim, as well as the lives of their family members. This is especially true when the victim was the main financial provider of the family.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. Spinal cord injuries can lead to complete or incomplete paralysis in the form of tetraplegia (affecting all four limbs), paraplegia (affecting the lower limbs only), and a host of other immobility problems that may require modifications of lifestyle such as: the use of a wheelchair, electric stairs, and chair lifts; vans specifically designed for the transport of wheelchairs; ramps and extension corridors; and bathrooms to accommodate wheelchairs.
- Loss of limbs. Loss of limbs are also life-changing events that may require victims to go through rehabilitation and affect the overall quality of life of the victim and their family.
All of these injuries, as well as fractures, broken bones, scratches, and bruises, can result in lengthy hospital stays that can put an extreme financial burden on families.
This is especially the case when the injured victims are not able to work.
Hospital Bills After a Bike Accident
Bicycle accident injuries depend on the facts and circumstances of the accident; the type of injuries sustained; the type of medical care needed and the duration of the treatment.
In the end, the bottom line is that these costs can be overwhelming.
According to The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit organization that focuses on health issues, the medical costs per day of hospitalization in the state of California are $2,706 dollars on average.
This is the third highest in the country, only behind Oregon and Washington state – and that figure does not include the cost of surgeries or special procedures.
Injured victims who remain in the hospital for a week will incur in costs rising up to $18,942. Add another week and then there would be a total of almost $37,000.
Add one more month of hospital care and then you would have another $80,000 total.
Unless you are lucky enough to have health insurance that covers 100% of the hospital stay, you are likely to be caught in financial chaos for a very long time.
Contact a Bike Accident Attorney in San Bernardino, CA
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident due to the negligence of another driver, we can help to ensure the culprit acknowledges his responsibility and you collect a well-deserved compensation for damages.
An injured cyclist in San Bernardino requires an experienced attorney to protect his or her legal rights and obtain full and fair compensation.
With years of experience, and $ millions of dollars recovered for our injured clients, Maryam Parman knows what it takes to achieve the best results.
We do not charge you any fees unless we win your case.
To schedule a free review of your case, contact us online or call our legal offices today.
What is My Bike Accident Claim Worth?
In addition to hospital expenses, victims injured in bicycle accidents in San Bernardino may suffer other types of expenses and damages.
Things like future medical care, rehabilitation, loss of income, pain, physical and/or emotional suffering, loss of quality of life, etc.
- Medical care/future rehabilitation. Leaving aside the overwhelming hospital costs mentioned above, victims of bicycle accidents who have been seriously injured may need months, years, or a lifetime of medical care and rehabilitation.
- Loss of income. Bike accident victims may not be able to work full-time, or at all, after their injury. While there are other forms of supplementary income such as short, or long-term disability; they are usually only a fraction of the total income of the victim. When a bicycle accident is due to the negligence of another person, you may be entitled to lost income that you would have earned in the future.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering. Personal injury damages may include compensation for past and future physical or emotional pain.
- Loss of quality of life. It is likely that victims of bicycle accidents may not be able to have the quality of life they once enjoyed because of their injuries. For avid cyclists, not being able to travel is a good example. However, it can affect many other areas of your life, such as the possibility of practicing sports, exercising, or just going for a long walk.
These are just a few examples of damages that can be compensated for victims of bicycle accidents.
It is important to understand that each case is different.
Hire an experienced bicycle accident injury lawyer to represent your interests so that you can get the compensation you are entitled to.
How Long do I Have to Take Legal Action?
If you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident in San Bernardino, there are strict deadlines that must be met to avoid jeopardizing your right to financial recovery.
The most important deadline is the statute of limitations.
This law prohibits filing a lawsuit if it does not start within a certain period of time after an injury accident.
In California, you have a maximum period of two years from the date of the accident to file your lawsuit.
Shorter time frames apply if you are suing a public entity as per a dangerous road.
There may be requirements and other terms so ask your attorney these questions.
Bike Accident Checklist – What toTo Do After an Accident?
- Get out of the way: If you are on the road, move or ask for help to move next to it. If you’re in a safe place, do not rush. Perform a self-injury check and check your helmet. Did you hit your head? Accidents happen quickly and unexpectedly; evaluate your wounds before getting off the ground.
- Prioritize your health: If you suffered an injury that requires medical attention, call 911. If you cannot make the call, ask someone else to do so.
- Get the drivers information: Ask the driver for their phone number and inspect their driver’s license.
- Photos: Take photos of the scene of the accident and/or ask others to do so as well.
- Get a police report: Request a copy of the police officer’s report. If it is not available, request a receipt with instructions on how to obtain a copy of the report.
- Contact a professional bicycle injury lawyer in San Bernardino.